Menopause. Noticed pulling and tenderness in ovary, like feeling before menstruation.

Hello Dr. XXXXXXX I recently in the last 3 - 4 days noticed some slight pulling and tenderness in what feels like my right ovary and it's the same feeling I would have prior to menstruating but I'm 55 and menopausal - haven't had a period in almost 3 years. I had my yearly gyno checkup a month ago and everything checked out fine. Is this something I should have checked out? Thankyou
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, should have been checked; advised tests below

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

Thank you for writing in. My name is Dr. Shoaib Khan, and I shall be answering all your medical related queries as Dr. XXXXXXX will not be able to address your query at the moment.

Yes, this should have been checked out with the help of an ultrasound during the gyno check, but that's fine ma'am, it is worth re-addressing. The slight pulling-sensation and tenderness, could be related to the uterine fibroid you have mentioned in your medical history. But, this also depends on the exact location of the fibroid. If it lies closer to your right ovary, we could assume this to be the cause; if not, then further investigation will be required. Only investigations will be able to tell whether this is something related to your right ovary, the area around it or the uterine fibroid itself.

Either way, assumption or not, I would recommend a transvaginal ultrasound scan (TVS), as this will help visualize your reproductive system from up close. Looking into the exact area where the tenderness is present and also into the uterine fibroid, which according to your history, is still present. Before the TVS, your doctor might also want to conduct a bimanual examination, which will also help greatly. I hope you understand why a physical examination by a doctor will be the wise next step.

At your age, if the fibroid has begun to develop/grow or produce more symptoms, a hysterectomy might be advised. Before you go to your doctor, I would advice you to give this idea some thought (i.e. if you are willing, and your queries regarding the procedures pros and cons, etc.)

I hope this information helps you ma'am. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you.

Best wishes.