Menopausal, bleeding heavily. Pap smear test was abnormal for squamous cells. Possibility of cervical cancer?

May 2013
I am a 51 yr old female who is post menopausal. I have been bleeding, (like a period) for at least 6 months. I have gone to see a doctor and was told that because I have never had children, my cervix is closed and way up there and difficult to look into. I did have a pap smear which came back abnormal for squamous cells. I am scheduled for some kind of biopsy & possible D & C. Is it possible I have cervical cancer?
Posted Wed, 19 Jun 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 28 minutes later

The possible causes for postmenopausal bleeding are:
-Endometrial abnormalities
-Cervical causes like growths, erosion etc.
-fibroids, polyps etc.
Any type of postmenopausal bleeding should be evaluated carefully.
So better to go for cervical and endometrial biopsy as your doctor suggested.
And also just by examination and pap smear we cannot come to one conclusion regarding the carcinoma of cervix.
Because with advancing age the tissue pattern will change to some extent.
So don't worry, possibly the biopsy will find out the exact cause for your problem.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.