Memory loss,amnesia,depression

Hi Doc, have a serious problem with my memory. Am not able to remember anything which happened previous day until somebody reminds me. At times i go into major depression. Pls help me
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Depression
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 37 minutes later

Your symptoms are suggestive of short term amnesia.

The commonest cause of this condition at your age is low blood glucose levels either due to prolonged starvation, dieting ,irregular feeding habits or diabetes. These causes should be ruled out first of all.

Second cause is depression and anxiety. These can cause a kind of “brain fog” that makes it difficult to concentrate and pay attention to things. As a result, it is harder for depressed or anxious people to store information in short term memory.

You can do meditation, yoga and XXXXXXX breathing exercises to decrease the problem.

Third possible reason is Alzheimer’s disease and senile dementia which is common among XXXXXXX citizens.

Other causes include head trauma, brain injury and brain tumors, alcohol and drug abuse which can damage or destroy brain cells, affecting a person’s ability to remember things.

Please visit your physician to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case for proper diagnosis.

Meanwhile try to keep your mind busy with reading, crosswords, search a word and by playing Scrabble.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.