Melasma on forehead, cheeks, nose & upper lip, burning sensation under those skin area. Using sunscreen. How dark can they get & could it reverse?

Dermatologist
Question
MelasmaI have melasma on my forehead, cheeks, nose and upper lip. It is getting darker being that my job requires me to be outside. I use the recommended sunscreen and wear hats constantly. My questions are how dark can this get and could it reverse? And why do I get a burning sensation under my skin where the melasma is?
Posted Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in Pigmentation Problems

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Melasma is the pigmentation of the skin on face normally seen in females after pregnancy , taking OCP's or some times only due to sun exposure .
In Males though rare, it is more resistant to treatment.
It occurs due to over activity of the melanosomes in the skin leading to excessive production of melanin leading to hyperpigmentation.
Due to increases sensitivity to sun and at times due to irritation of the topical creams used to treat melasma, irritation and redness might occur.
Sun avoidance is one of the most important factor which prevents melasma. Melasma is reversible but comes back with sun exposure.

Dr.Rohit Batra

Follow-up: Melasma on forehead, cheeks, nose & upper lip, burning sensation under those skin area. Using sunscreen. How dark can they get & could it reverse? 11 days later
Why do I get a burning sensation under mu skin where the melasma is?
Follow-up: Melasma on forehead, cheeks, nose & upper lip, burning sensation under those skin area. Using sunscreen. How dark can they get & could it reverse? 0 minute later
Does retin A really work for melasma
Why should my sunscreen contain zinc in it

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 21 hours later
Hi and thanks again,

I shall address all your queries individually,

1. Burning sensation over the melasma area may be due to the use of topical medication like retin or it can be due to photosensitivity.

2. Retin A is a useful medication for melasma. It works by increasing the turnover rate of skin over the affected area. It is more effective when combined with topical steroid and hydroquinone.

3. Sunscreen has two types of ingredients -organic and inorganic.
Zinc and Titanium oxide are inorganic sunscreens. Zinc is very effective sunscreen ingredient and offers good sun protection. In view of this, sunscreen lotions with zinc are more effective than non zinc containing sunscreens.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other queries.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Dr. Rohit Batra