Melanonychia caused by antibiotic for acne. How to reverse the nail disorder?

I have melanonychia caused by an antibiotic for acne I took a couple years ago it was called doxyiclyn. I went to a dermatologist years and he told me that it was fineand nothing to worry about but I would like to know a treatment or how to reverse this nail disorder.Some of the lines have faded, some come and go I would really appreciate your skilled advise and thoughts,options, ideas. Its more of a cosmetic question. i already know it is not harmful.
Thanks Ahead of time
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 10 hours later
Melanonychia is a rare but not a serious side effect of doxycycline.
The drug after being stopped helps in clearing the lesions but at times the problem persists for long.
In most cases of persisting problems, biotin and calcium pentothenate supplementation has shown good results but one needs to take such supplements for atleast 3 months.

I would suggest you to start such a supplementation after due consultation with your dermatologist.

Please accept my answer if you are satisfied with the reply.

Dr. Rohit Batra