Melanoma like spot appeared on arm. What is the cause and treatment required?

Oncologist, Radiation
I have a spot that looks exactly like melanoma appear overnight? Can that happen. It is also on my arm and I have had XXXXXXX tissue arm pain for about a week?
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 33 minutes later
Melanomas originate from melanocytes (pigment cells present in epidermis layer of skin).

This malignancy can affect people of any age group. Incidence also common (6th most common cancer in women in states).

There are different types of melanoma of which nodular melanoma may be rapidly growing one.

There are certain risk factors. I would like to have these information.
-do you have family history of melanoma?
-white ethnicity?
- do you have history of excess sun exposure?
-do you have any mole on other parts of body?
- Is there associated lymph node swelling?
- Is the surface of the lesion elevated?
-what is the color of the lesion.
Development of melanoma overnight is unlikely.

If the lesion increases in size, you should go for an excision biopsy. At present the lesion should be clinically examined by dermatologist.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up.

Follow-up: Melanoma like spot appeared on arm. What is the cause and treatment required? 26 hours later
I am a high risk. No family history.

White, several blistering sunburns in my teens (before we knew about skin cancer!). I have many moles and have had total body skin checks. This lesion is dark redish and uneven. A little bigger than a pencil eraser. Feels not necessarily raised but almost a whitish crust on part of it.
I am not aware of any lymph node swelling but have had pain in the same arm and the area around the lesion aches.
Answered by Dr. Dipanjan Majumder 4 hours later

Thanks for follow up.

Overnight dark red and uneven rash with soreness is most likely an infectious condition. Perhaps a fungal infection or folliculitis are close possibilities. However as you have history of sun blistering and presence of other moles, the current lesion needs to be evaluated with suspicion.

I would urge you to visit your dermatologist's office for a detailed clinical examination. Biopsy of the affected area may be needed.

Hope this answers your query. I will be available for follow up.