Melanoma, dark brown mole, peeled out. Serious?

Hi I am a 37 year old white female. About 10 months ago I noticed a small (about 2 mm) dark brown mole on my toe. I believe it was there before my may have darkened a bit. It was oval, uniform in colour, uniform in borders and was slightly elevated. It did not appear to grow or change in those 10 months.
I picked it off. I know I should not have done that. It has been 2.5 weeks and it has healed over and did not grow back. Should I be concerned about melanoma due it being a bit darker than I remember?
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 40 minutes later

I can understand your concern but from the description of the mole, chances are least that it is a melanoma.
Melanomas are usually >6 mm in size, with irregular borders , asymmetrical, dark and uneven color and increasing in size. From the symptoms your mole is 2 mm in size, with even borders and even color. So it doesn’t look like a melanoma. A mole may be brown, XXXXXXX or even dark brown in color.

Keep an eye on the mole when it grows back. If you notice changes in the mole's color, height, size or shape, you should have a dermatologist evaluate it. You also should have it checked if it bleeds, oozes, itches, appear scaly, or become tender or painful. Then it needs to be biopsied. Otherwise there is no reason to worry.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.