Meizitang botanical slimming gel, breast cancer, chemo, radiation. Safe to take this ?

Question
i AM FEMALE AND 39 YEARS OLD I WEIGHT 72KG AND 178CM TALL I HAVE JUST STARTED TAKING MEIZITANG BOTANICAL SLIMMING GEL CAPSUALS AND I HAD BREAST CANCER 2 YEARS AGO AND WENT THRU CHEMO AND RADIATION AND WAS WONDERING IF THEY WERE SAFE TO TAKE HAVE BEEN ON THEM FOR 5 DAYS. THANKS
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 29 minutes later

Meizitang capsules are of Chinese origin and are composed of natural herbs and are contraindicated in pregnancy, breast feeding and in people with kidney, liver, cardiovascular diseases and with high blood pressure.

Since you have had chemotherapy and radiation therapy for breast cancer, so it is not advisable to take these slimming capsules without a medical supervision.

Moreover FDA has included these capsules in the list of its banned products and has warned consumers who have used any products containing these ingredients to stop taking them and consult their health care professional immediately.

According to FDA, these capsules and other weight losing products contain undeclared ingredients and prescription drugs in amounts that greatly exceed maximum recommended dosages. These may cause serious side effects like high blood pressure, seizures, tachycardia (rapid heartbeat), palpitations, heart attack, and stroke.

Hence it is advisable not to take these capsules. For losing weight, eat a healthy nutritious diet and do exercise for atleast 1 hour everyday under a physical trainer in a gym.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.