Medicines to stop Smoking and drinking alcohol?

Hello Doctor

Please guide me how i can stop Smoking & drinking habit.

I have tried to stop both only one month have stopped & again it got started because of work pressure.

I really dont wat to SMOKE & DRINK ANYMORE

Once i control the habit i will stop my whole life.

Posted Sun, 21 Jul 2013 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 26 hours later

Thanks for the query

I genuinely appreciate your willingness to stop consuming alcohol and smoking

Medicines along with counseling / psychotherapy are available for treatment of both the problems

Combination of the above two type of treatment when started simultaneously and continued regularly for few months gives positive results particularly in people who actually want to get rid off such habits

I entirely agree with you of the statement that XXXXXXX Once i control the habit i will stop my whole life", because the initial couple of months are the difficult period during which you are likely to have distressing symptoms which we call as "withdrawal syndrome".

Different medicines like benzodiazepines are helpful in acute phase / early period

Medicines like Acamprosate, Disulfiram, Naltrexone etc are helpful in decreasing the craving and helps you to remain abstinent for a long period. Of course these medications need to be taken in consultation with doctor.

Additionally, via counselling / psychotherapy by your psychiatrist / by yourself need to employ "problem solving strategy"

I think you have started the very 1st step needed to stop such habits, merely asking a question to us.

Please let me know if I could be of some further guidance