Medicines helpful for tapering and stopping nardil?

Psychiatrist
Question
Do you know of medications helpful to an individual trying to taper and stop nardil? It has caused a malignant weight gain of 55 pounds. When I've attempted to stop, I get very foggy in my thinking and cannot work.
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 39 minutes later

Thanks for using healthcare magic.

I have gone through your history.

Nardil contains phenelzine sulfate, which is Mono amino oxidase inhibitor group of anti depressant drug.

Naradil is likely to cause weight gain but you should also rule out other causes like Hypothyroidism and excessive appetite out of recovery of depression.

It has potential withdrawal symptoms like clouding or fogging of thoughts, tiredness, irritability etc. So it should not be stopped all of a sudden.

Please also note that while on Nardil, you should avoid herbal products and many drugs like anti depressants and even multivitamins as they have potential drug interaction.

To stop nardil, you should consult your psychiatrist.

The dose of nardil should generally be tapered very slowly over a period of months. As you have not mentioned the dose of nardil you are taking, it is difficult for me to suggest the exact dosages.

After slight dose reduction, you should allow the withdrawal features to settle it down. You can also take help of yoga or stress management to get rid of stress emerging form withdrawals.

As soon as withdrawal features settles down at reduced dose, go further.

Please note that there may be emergence of depressive features while tapering the dose, so please taper and omit the dose of nardil in liaison with your psychiatrist.

You should not take any medications particularly anti depressants while tapering the dose, as there may be potential drug interactions.

I Hope I have addressed your concern.

Feel free to revert to me in case if you have any query.

Thanks.