Medicine to cure psychogenic polydipsia?

Nov 2013

Could you tell me the names of drugs that can be used to cure psychogenic polydipsia. I was on irbesartan for many months for psychogenic polydipsia until I developed dry cough. I went off irbesartan for a month and the cough went away. Now my water consumption has gone up by a litre . So could you name some drugs which would treat the syndrome.
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 12 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

A water intake of 3.5 liters would not cause any problems, especially if your kidney functions are normal.

However, if you are unable to restrict fluid intake, loop diuretics such as furosemide are useful (as this increases water excretion via urine).

Other medications that have been found to be useful are antipsychotics (such as clozapine, risperidone and olanzapine), and demeclocycline.

I hope it helps.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine) DM (Neurology)