Medication to reduce anxiety for the purpose of falling asleep?

What is a medication that can be taken to reduce anxiety for the purpose of falling asleep? I need suggestions for other medications that i can talk about with my doctor so she can help me pick the right one for me. I just want something to bring to the table.
Posted Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 2 hours later
You really have tried a lot of medications for sleep and I must confess that those are the best available. Your doctor and you might have tried the best of the medicines tolerating the side effects. It may be possible that your body has become used to the sleep medications and so you are finding it difficult to get sleep without them. You must be under the care of a doctor for these problems and the best way to get out of this cycle would be to take minimum medications and try to get natural sleep. You body needs time to recover and your sleep centres need time to reset. Initially it may be frustrating but in long run it will have good results. I am not sure about the reason for prescribing resperidone initially, but your physician who prescribed must be able to tell you that.
Believe me at this age you should not try to buy sleep with medication. You should adopt sleep hygiene , it may be necessary for counseling and close follow up by a Sleep medicine specialist in your area.
If there are more queries, i will be happy to answer.
Good luck.