Medication for high cholesterol and LDL?

request to prescribe medicine to lower LDL cholesterol
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Cholesterol
Answered by Dr. Akhilesh Dubey 49 minutes later

Thanks for query,

I can understand your concern about high cholesterol and LDL.

Before any medicines are given for high LDL level, we should analyze complete Lipid profile, dietary history and family history of Cholesterol abnormality or heart disease.
If possible please scan and attach Lipid profile report.

Treatment of High cholesterol consists of diet restrictions avoiding fats, fried foods, animal fats and fast foods.
- Taking fats to provide 30% of total calories and saturated fats should be 10%.
- Increasing physical exercise and lose weight if overweight.
- To reduce cholesterol and LDL there are very good drugs Statins (Atorvastatin or Rosuvastatin) which may be taken after dietary and physical exercise are started. I do not advice the medications straight away in view of side effects. Discuss with your treating doctor. Besides that, it would be incorrect and unethical to prescribe any drug to you without examining you personally.

Hope this information helps you. You can send me report of Lipid profile so that I can clarify better.

Dr. A. Dubey M.D.