Medication for Edema bulla?

how to medicate for "edema bulla"
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there.
Thank you for posting your question.

Edema, meaning fluid collecting in the tissues, usually the lower limbs, can have many causes. Back pressure from heart failure or fluid retention from renal failure are examples. In these cases both lower limbs would be affected equally.

Edema bulla means the pressure of the tissue fluid retention is of a severity sufficient to raise a water blister. In your case, if I understand you correctly, only your right leg is affected, so the underlying cause of your edema is unlikely to be renal or heart failure and more likely relates to obstructed venous return.

I'm sure with this degree of edema you will have received medical attention and the underlying diagnosis will have been made. If not then it needs to be.

To answer your question then, edema bulla is treated like any edema and that is with diuretics to help you pass more urine and reduce the amount of fluid being retained in your body. An additional measure usually recommended is to raise the affected leg on a foot stool so less gravity is hindering venous return.

You may also be wondering if the water blister(s) should be broken. The answer to that is no, not without medical supervision.

I hope this has helped you a bit and that you get better soon.