Medical termination done. Had unprotected sex, getting pregnancy symptoms. HPT negative. Any advice?

Mar 2016

I went throught a medical termination of pregnancy on Dec 11 2012. On XXXXXXX 26 i got my periods which lasted for 5 days and had normal bleeding as i used to before the termination. I am yet to get my periods for the the month of feb and its already the 07 Mar 2013.
I did have unprotected sex a couple of times in an attempt to conceive again.
i am a regualr at the gym but i am feeling reallin blated up in the lower abdomen since the last week. I am on pre natals as adviced by the doctor and hence my urine is bright yellow in the mornings( heard it might be a early pregnancy sign). Also have been monitoring my basal tempreature. Normally its between 96.4-96.8 but since the last 2 weeks its at 97.4-97.8. Yesterday it went up till 98.0. however today its showing 90.6. I have taken a home pregnancy test yesterday but it came out negative.
Am really confused. Kindly advice what should i expect out of this.
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to solve your problem.

First of all, you need to undergo one blood test for beta HCG level to confirm pregnancy at the earliest as you are already 9 days late from expected due date. Home pregnancy test may give negative result sometimes and it depends on the sensitivity of the strip (mostly 99%) for urine hCG.

Second thing, in case of positive blood test, one Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS scan) is essential to confirm the intrauterine conception or gestational sac.

Thirdly, gradual rising of temperature is due to effect of progesterone hormone which is thermogenic in nature. Today's low temperature (90.6) may indicate sudden fall of progesterone hormone or imbalance of HPO axis (Hypothalamus-Pituitary-Ovarian) or thyroid hormone disturbance etc.

In exclusion of pregnancy, other reasons for late period are stress/ anxiety/ emotional upset, hormonal imbalance, thyroid disturbance, irregular eating habit, overweight or weight loss, psychological factor etc.

The possibilities can be narrowed by means of several tests such as ultrasound scan (USG) for lower abdomen, Complete hormone assay ( LH / FSH level, blood estrogen & progesterone levels), blood sugar & prolactin level, thyroid profile etc.

Proper treatment depends on underlying etiological factors. Therefore, I suggest you to consult with a gynecologist who can guide above mentioned investigations after a physical examination if pregnancy is ruled out.

The following measures can be helpful :

1) Take healthy diet with carotene based food stuff. You may need to take good hematincs. Eat more XXXXXXX vegetables & fresh fruits.
2) Complete avoidance of salty/ fatty/ junk food stuffs and drink more water/ juice.
3) Try to avoid stress/ tension by yoga/ XXXXXXX breathing regularly (20-30 times).
4) Maintain personal hygiene. Always take a sound sleep with complete relaxation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.
Follow-up: Medical termination done. Had unprotected sex, getting pregnancy symptoms. HPT negative. Any advice? 46 minutes later

Thank for the quick revert.
Wanted to understand from your experience with all the information that i have provided. what are the chances that this can be a postitive pergnancy and not a delayed periods due to medical termination.

Thanks & regards
Answered by Dr. S Patra 11 minutes later

Thanks for follow up query. I am happy to help you.

From above said information, chance of pregnancy is less likely as you got negative home pregnancy test yesterday and sudden fall of temperature today.

Though, you need to confirm pregnancy by one blood test for beta-HCG before proceeding to other investigations to rule out causes of delayed period. Your gynecologist can help you regarding this.

You can directly consult with me by visiting my profile on WWW.WWWW.WW and press the button "ask me a question".

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Be well & stay healthy.

Dr Soumen