Medical history of COPD, depression, high cholesterol, herniated disks, glaucoma, and hypothyroidism. Why do I have swelling and itching under eye?

Hello, I am a 52 yo woman.
Medical hx of copd, depression, high cholesterol, herniated disks with frequent muscle spasms, glaucoma, and hypothyoidism. Medications taken are Lovothyroxine, Zoloft, Zocor, aspirin one daily, Skelexin, lumigan, xanax as needed, and trazadone as needed for sleep. This morning I awoke with swelling, inflammation, flakey dry skin and severe itching under my eyes. Location is actually at the cheek bone prominence. Areas are V shaped with the open end pointing toward the ears. Extremely itchy. Actually looks like cellulitis but with occuring on both sides I doubt it. I have never had this before. Am not using any new makeup and haven't eaten anything new. please help me figure outy what this is. Actually looks a unslightly.
Posted Wed, 4 Jul 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Chandana Krishna 3 hours later

Thank you for writing in,

The description of presenting symptoms looks like an allergic reaction. Careful examination of the affected region by a dermatologist is advised. Allergic conditions are sometimes associated with high absolute eosinophil counts. You can get this blood test done under the guidance of dermatologist to confirm this possibility.

Another close possibility could be a malar rash which is associated with vitamin deficiencies, dermatomyositis and some autoimmune conditions. As nasal bridge is not involved, I will not consider this as the first possibility in your case.

Hence I encourage you to consult a competent dermatologist to rule out malar rash.

In the meantime take some antihistamines such as cetrizine. It can decrease itching, inflammation and redness. Calamine lotion can be applied on local affected area to decrease itching.

Hope this answers your query. If you have any query, I'll be happy to help you.