Medical abortion done. Taking meprate for thick endometrium. Missing period. What should I do?

Mar 2016

i am 31yrs old,i am having endometrial thickness 19mm(feb 26th scan taken)my doctor suggest to Meprate for 3 days,am not having my periods february mth,after ten days my Doctor suggest me to come back,,shall i follow that? i done medical abortion on the mth of dec 2012,then got the periods for jan25th only one day, then this mth not yet come, jan31st i take the pelvis scan thickness shows 14.1mm shall i follow as my Doctor suggests
Posted Tue, 19 Mar 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 58 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to give answer as per your concern.

First of all, normal endometrial thickness (ET) is 12-14 mm in secretory phase in your age group. ET 19 mm may be due to hormonal imbalance or underlying uterine pathology which may not visible on Trans Vaginal Sonography (TVS scan) if you did it. Sometimes, it is associated with endometrial hyperplasia. In such cases, endometrial biopsy is recommended to confirm diagnosis.

Other associated factors for irregular delayed period are stress/ anxiety/ emotional upset, weight change, irregular diet habit, thyroid disorder etc.

On the other hand, 1-7 days period due date alteration is normal thing. Following abortion, some women get irregular period for 1-2 cycles. Therefore, you can wait at least 7-10 days to get your period and take above said medication (Meprate) as per your doctor recommendation.

Even after 10 days, if you do not get your period, you have to undergo some investigation like ultrasound scan (abdominal) for pelvis, complete hormone assay, blood sugar, prolactin level etc. Only your doctor can guide this investigations after physical examination.

In the interim, you should do following things:

1) Take healthy diet with more vegetables (carotene based) & iron supplements.
2) Drink plenty of fluids/water & eat more fresh fruits. Avoid spicy/ junk/ salty foods.
3) Control body weight by regular physical exercise. Keep bowel habit regular.
4) Avoid stress by doing yoga/ XXXXXXX breathing regularly (20-30 times).
5) Maintain personal hygiene & take sound sleep with complete relaxation.

Hope I have answered your query. If you do not have any query, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.

Wish your good health & take care yourself.

Dr Soumen.