Measured acid or alkaline leves by ph paper. What does the finding mean?

Question
hi i purchased some ph papers from my local health food store and measure my acid/alkaline leves and i got 5.5, what does this mean? is my body acidic?
Posted Tue, 26 Feb 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 2 hours later
Thanks for the query. Your query is ambiguous.

I need following clarifications:
1. You have done blood pH or urine pH.
2. Do you have any symptoms at present?

A urinary pH of 5.5 is acidic, and it is normal since the kidneys maintain body pH by excreting hydrogen ions in urine.

Please clarify the same to answer you specifically. You may write to me further clarification.

Dr Nilofer

Follow-up: Measured acid or alkaline leves by ph paper. What does the finding mean? 22 hours later
i've done the urinary pH

Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 46 minutes later

Thanks for the reply.

The kidneys try to maintain the body pH in the normal by either excreting or preserving hydrogen ions. Normal urinary pH can vary between 4.6 and 8.

So, if you are not symptomatic, a urinary pH of 5.5 is normal. Nothing to worry...

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know any time for further details,

Dr Nilofer