Meaning of cervical disc bulge, bilateral osteoarthritis, disc protrusion?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My MRI shows mild central canal stenosis L3-L4. Mild cervical disc bulges and bilateral osteoarthritis L3-L4, L4-L5 and small focal left foraminal disc protrusion L2-L3. ECG shows pinched nerve L4-L5. What does all this mean?
Posted Sat, 8 Mar 2014 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 38 minutes later
Brief Answer: Due to degenerative disc disease Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. It seems you are suffering from degenerative disc disease & it occurs due to repetitive overload or stress to the disc & it increases the risk of disc herniation & spinal canal stenosis. There is a vertebral disc between each vertebra, it acts as a shock absorber, it is composed of two parts, the outer part called the annulos fibosis and the inner aspect , that is normally fully surrounded by the annulus, called the nucleus pulposus. As they weaken they may protrude, and result in an indentation of the thecal sac (membrane surrounding the spinal cord and nerves) causing a pinched nerve. As a result of this you may experience pain going down your leg/legs, numbness or any abnormal sensation in your lower limbs. In your MRI report ,there is no significant disc herniation or stenosis. The treatment normally entails a few days of rest (not too long because it can cause reduced muscle strength and loss of bone density), use of pain medication, muscle relaxants if they are thought necessary and physiotherapy. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL