Meaning of abdominal CT results showing atrophy of rectal muscles?

Okay, been having alot of pain bloating, constipation of diarrhea, seems like everytime i eat or drink my abdomen bloats. I also have a dennervation of my left side following a 2011 Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion t12-l2, A CT of the abodmen with contrast done 01/31/14, shows 1) NO obstructive bowel changes seen 2-Nonspecfic segmental thickening of the sigmoid colon which may be related to incomplete distention of may represent colitis 3- Lower left abdominal wall herniation containing fat only 4-Atrophy of the left oblique rectus muscles resulting in soft tissue bulging. (my unsightly abdominal flank bulge!) My doctor will not be available to discuss my results until next Friday, I just want to know what this means now. Thanks, XXXX
Posted Fri, 28 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 3 hours later
Brief Answer: It means you suffer from irritable colon syndrome. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX, thank you for posting. The information you refer makes me think you suffer from irritable colon syndrome. To verify that,, except the tests you have done, you also need: -Parasitic infection stool test. -Lactose intolerance test. -Colonoscopy. -Blood test. -Liver function test. -Abdominal ultrasound(to exclude gallstones). -Endoscopy. If all these tests are negative, then it favors the possibility you suffer from colon irritable syndrome. You should contact your gastroenterologist. Dr. Behar.
Follow-up: Meaning of abdominal CT results showing atrophy of rectal muscles? 1 hour later
Thank you for your answer. Can the abdominal hernia be contributing to my symptoms? I get a very sharp pain with certain movements on my left side.
Answered by Dr. Behar Greca 31 minutes later
Brief Answer: Abdominal hernia doesn't cause your symptoms... Detailed Answer: Thank you for writing back. Abdominal hernia can contribute on abdominal discomfort. Your pain in left side is caused by seizure of sigmoid colon. Hope it helped you. Dr. Behar.