May be infected with HSV1 or HSV2, herpes test negative. How can I be sure of test result?

Hi, I had a question about Herpes and the testing of it. I believe I may be infected with either HSV1 of HSV2, I went to get tested a couple day after symptons began. The test came back negative, however I am very concerned that my system wasn't able to produce the necessary antibodies that would appear on this test. So my symtpons are apparently dying down slowly now, but how long before I can test again so I can absolutely sure of the result?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 49 minutes later

Thank you for the Query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) Have you had Unprotected or Protected sex with a stranger, whose sexual history you don't know?
2.) What exactly are your symptoms?

I would like to let you know that HSV-1 is traditionally associated with orofacial disease, while HSV-2 is traditionally associated with genital disease and more than 80% of patients with these diseases are asymptomatic.

Primary cases of this infection have symptoms for longer duration and the recurrent infections are milder and are of lesser duration.

The Incubation period is 1 day to 3 weeks and I would suggest you better get yourself evaluated once again after 3 weeks of your alleged exposure.

Kindly get yourself examined by a Infectious Disease Specialist so that he/she may examine you first and if you have developed herpetic lesions do further tests like,

1.) Tissue Cultures
2.) Immunofluorescent staining of the tissue culture cells
3.) HSV (antigen (DFA)
5.) PCR (polymerase chain reaction) testing.

to confirm the diagnosis. Your treating Doctor will know better.

Once confirmed the treatment involves anti viral medications and symptomatic therapy.

Follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Eat healthy nutritious balanced diet which should include fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
2.) Avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.
3.) Practice safe sex and be faithful to a single partner.
4.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.
5.) Avoid smoking and alcohol.

Hope I have answered your Query, I will be available to answer your follow up Queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.