Masturbation with sock, chlamydia infection, cured. Can infection recur on using same sock?

Can someone re-catch chlamydia after being treated, from masturbating into a sock that they had used to masturbate when they still had the disease?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Men Sexual Problems
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Chlamydia is a bacterium that is known to have mechanisms to develop resistance towards many antibiotics. So, the possibility of re-infection after treatment with suitable antibiotics exists depending upon the strain of bacteria involved.

And yes, this does happen without exposure sexually, as I mentioned above. But, importantly the re-infection would have to substantiate by presence of clinical findings, investigatory findings (as you say you tested positive.)

I cannot comment on this aspect, unless I have information on what antibiotics you have used till date and the durations and dose. Please provide me post these details along with your complete medical history including your diagnosis to help me answer your query better.

I would also suggest you to take a follow up review with your prescribing doctor for the right approach to your present situation.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.