Masturbated using liquid soap. Skin on penis dried out. Using hydrocortisone. Is this irritant dermatitis?

About 4 months ago I masturbated using a certain kind of liquid soap I found in the medicine cabinet. The next day the skin on my penis shaft and glans was all dried out and the glans developed red indented streaks which later turned white. I consulted a dermatologist online and he said to use hydrocortisone cream and petroleum jelly for 2 weeks and that it should clear up (it didn't). To this day the skin on my glans is all dried out and still has the aforementioned streaks. Is this some kind of irritant contact dermatitis and if so can anything be done to restore the skin on my glans? It is causing me great distress emotionally. I can hardly bear to look at my penis anymore because of the ugly marks that are there. Please help me resolve this problem.
Posted Wed, 6 Jun 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 2 hours later

As per your description, there are 2 possibilities that I can explain your symptoms.
1. Irritant dermatitis - here the symptoms are predominantly dryness.
2. Candidal balanitis - the symptoms include erythema and streaks and cuts can occur.

So if the currently symptoms is mere dryness, dermatitis is most likely while wet lesions with erythema are consistent with candidial balanitis.

The medication prescribed by your doctor is right for the treatment of irritant dermatitis and if symptoms subsided and only dryness is left then there is nothing to worry. You can continue with the same else you should visit a dermatologist in person to get a detailed examination. Your dermatologist needs to rule out Candida infection where the treatment would be the use of antifungal.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr.Rohit Batra