Massive stomach pain with vomiting. Took ultra strength gas X. Not cured. What can I do?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question
For the third time in one month, I have had massive stomach pain (Non-abdominal) that keeps me on the floor in the bathroom, vomiting. This pain lasts for 6-8 hours and I can vomit up to ten times in this time frame, always producing something, and still have no relief. Eventually, I will let out a non-significant burp and suddenly feel better. After all of that. I take the Ultra Strength Gas X and I can taste it when I burp or vomit, but it is not helping. Can this really be just gas?
Posted Tue, 12 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 2 hours later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini and I am pleased to answer your query.

I would like to have some more information before I can give my opinion.

1. Is the pain felt in the upper or lower part? Right or left?
2. Does it radiate to any other part?
3. Does food intake increase /decrease the pain?
4. Any tests done so far?

Kindly get back to me with the answers and I will give my opinion.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Massive stomach pain with vomiting. Took ultra strength gas X. Not cured. What can I do? 14 minutes later
Hi Dr. Kini,

The answers are as such:
Is the pain felt in the upper or lower part? Right or left? Around 2" beneath my left breast, and towards the center. The whole area gets bloated to the point I can't even lay down, I have to remain sitting straight up.
2. Does it radiate to any other part? It is more as a swelling of the entire soft area under my diaphragm between the spot under my left breast and towards the center of my stomach.
3. Does food intake increase /decrease the pain? I drank hot tea, and a small piece of cake then vomited. I ate a plain piece of white bread the last time this happened on New Years eve and it didn't help. I try to eat so I can take an advil (Advice of an old doctor). Food doesn't really help, and if it is too heavy it becomes painful from the weight of it.
4. Any tests done so far? No, I have just been told it is gas, but I have had this happening too often to like this simple answer. Hours and hours of pain is ruining my life. What tests can be done? A scope?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 20 minutes later
Thanks for providing the additional information.
Though the 6-8 hours pain and the severity suggest disease like pancreatitis, other description you have provided like relief with a burp and other things you have mentioned in the follow up post suggest it is more of dyspepsia.

A upper GI endoscopy may be done for evaluation.
Avoid advil.
Take prilosec for relief.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.
Dr.Ratnakar Kini