Massage done on shoulders, neck, back and arm. Unable to lift arm above shoulder. What's wrong?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2014
Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Question
Yesterday I went to have a massage done on my shoulders, neck, back and 2 of my arms R & L. Today
I AM UNABLE TO LIFT MY LEFT ARM ABOVE MY HEAD OR SHOULDER WITHOUT IT BEING IN PAIN, IT IS SO UNCOMFORTABLE TO SLEEP AND LIE DOWN WITH THIS NAGGING PAIN.
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later

Although it isn't possible to diagnose your condition without an examination and a few tests, your history is suggestive of Adhesive capsulitis(Frozen shoulder) or Calcific tendonitis.

These conditions are easily managed by regular physiotherapy ( Range of motion exercices,stretching and strengthening exercises). Over-the-counter pain relievers, such as aspirin and ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin), can help reduce pain and inflammation associated with this condition.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician nearby for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. Your doctor after diagnosing the condition might refer to you a physical therapist.A physical therapist can teach you stretching exercises to help maintain as much mobility in your shoulder as possible

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you good health...

Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.