Mass in placenta with no blood flow, 26 weeks pregnant. Fetus fine in the ultrasound scan. Chances of abnormalities to the baby?

I am a chinese 36 yr old woman who is pregnant at 26 weeks now. (1 live birth via c sec at 35 weeks + previously in 2009, 2 miscarrriages (week 6), another of which is ectopic at week 8- all d&c ). Both successful pregnancies are conceived via IVF-icsi.

This pregnancy has been progressing well, 3 days ago at a routine gynae appointment, a large mass in the womb apart from the baby and placenta was seen at the ultrasound. a detailed colour doppler ultrasound followed today- the result showed a large mass in the placenta with no blood flow. the placenta is slightly larger than normal. the baby is 980gm at week 25 + day 6. the baby does not have any obvious abnormalities. the last detailed scan done 4 weeks ago showed no signs of any abnormalities/growth/lump whatever.

further consult with current gynae after further scan today was" nature and effect of lump unknown, not common but since there's no blood vessel in lump, less likely to cause complications, require regular monitoring - detailed scans every 4 weeks"

I need a second opinion due to the sudden appearance and largeness of the growth in/near the placenta (aggressiveness of the lump), what causes it to appear and grow suddenly, and what is possible effect on the viability/possible abnormalities to the baby?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 14 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I understand your health concern.

This non vascular enlargement of placenta could be due to some tumor of placenta. You need frequent ultrasound monitoring for this lump of placenta and baby. You may require early delivery and possibily caesarean section depending on your further ultrasound reports.

After your delivery placenta need to be examined and sent for histopathology. Non vascular growth in placenta is least likely to cause any anomaly in the baby. The risk to the baby arises if preterm delivery occurs.

Hope my suggestions will help you. I will be available for follow up queries, if any.

Best wishes,
Follow-up: Mass in placenta with no blood flow, 26 weeks pregnant. Fetus fine in the ultrasound scan. Chances of abnormalities to the baby? 3 hours later
Dear Dr. XXXXXXX Titoria Sahu

Thank you for your answer.

The mass went from zero to 54x44mm in 4 weeks, in view of its aggressive rate of growth, will the chorangioma continue to grow as fast in the next 12-16 weeks? what causes it/the rapid growth and what can be done to reduce its growth before it causes preterm delivery?
Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 1 hour later
Hi and thanks again,

Chorioangioma is vascular growth. In your case, it is a non vascular growth. I feel in your case as the growth is non vascular, the chances of complication is less. I encourage you to follow up with your gynecologist regularly, monitor the further progress of the mass by repeated ultrasound examination.

As such there is no medicine to decrease the growth of placental mass.

Frequent monitoring of this placental mass is necessary. You may consult a fetal medicine expert if the growth becomes concerning. Fetal medicine expert might be able to help you with this problem in the uterus.

Hope I have answered your query effectively.

Wish you good health and safe pregnancy.

Best wishes,