Marks on penile shaft, looks like wart and is rough. What could it be?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Dec 2013
Dec 2013
Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
hi doctor i have this XXXXXXX on the shaft of my penis. 4 -5 months ago, i had two marks one at the top (picture) and one close to the groin. doctor said i probably didn't wash hand as it was fungal he speculated. the initial marks were lighter than my skin color, flat, and circular i believe. the second XXXXXXX went away with the hydrocortisone cream prescribed but the one in the picture developed into a bump. from close up it seems bumpy but from far away just rough. Went to GP, and said not an std. not sure what to do. pictures are provided. also, I am not sexually active. i can provide more pics, but close up in camera it looks bumpy and its getting be scared to be a wart while from far away it just looks rough.
Posted Sun, 19 May 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 2 hours later

Welcome and thanks for posting your query to Healthcare Magic. My self Dr S K Kanodia and will try to provide you the best of information regarding your query.

The very first information to provide you is that your problem is not at all warts or any other Sexually transmitted disease(STD). Even then to inform you, there are two Sexually transmitted diseases resembling your condition one is warts and the other is molluscum contagiosum which manifests totally different from your picture. Warts manifest as verrucous (like multiple accuminate or thorn like) structure and molluscum contagiosum manifest as raised pearl like structure with central indentation. As your problem is flat structure so is not any STD. The fact is also supported by no sexual activity by yourself -so rest assured about any Sexually transmitted diseases.
It is not even fungal infection. As it manifests as ring like structure and penile shaft is not the site for fungal infection, rather involves the folds and are larger than few centimeters. Also fungal infections do not have any correlation with hand wash rather is related to local hygiene of groin area.

So you must be wondering what the problem is!! This condition most likely is a "Lichenoid eruption" which is commonly found at this site as well as at any other site of body. It is not at all anything serious and is a simple phenomenon of wear and tear of skin which actually becomes slightly raised due to touching or scratching. These begins as very small bumps and then can become flatly enlarged. You can notice multiple other pin point to pin head size papules near by the large flat lesion. You were rightly prescribed hydrocortisone cream as it responds well to mild steroids and you can continue with the same for few weeks of time if you find some new lesions.
- Do reduce your stress of any kind including stress regarding the is problem.
-Other than that you can apply simple petroleum jelly over the rough areas. If you feel any itching over the area then can take antihistamines under medial guidance.
-Do tell me if you have any other sites of body having same type of eruptions or if you are taking any kind of other medications for any other health problem
-The lesions (bumps) will not leave any marks or any scars. So remain tension free for any kind of future issues.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Marks on penile shaft, looks like wart and is rough. What could it be? 2 hours later
Hello doctor,

the new picture i uploaded 0000 is an up close camera zoom picture. the eye cannot see that close so to the natural eye the spot looks flat. it has a few bumps but can only be seen on zoom.

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 8 hours later
Hi Rajpaul,
Welcome again.

The diagnosis I have made is after seeing all of five pictures and your new picture supports the same. Lichenoid eruptions do start as flat papule and plaques and to start with, these can have varied colors including light brown color also. Hydrocortisone cream is not responsible for raising the bump, it is the natural course of the eruption to get raised at first in few weeks and then becomes flatter in next weeks to months time. We even do prescribe higher potency steroid cream for the resolution but hydrocortisone being one of the safest and can be used longest.

As I asked you before also to tell me/ check for other sites of body having same type of eruptions or any itching or if you are taking any kind of other medications for any other health problem.

I hope you must be relaxed to know that it is not any Sexually transmitted disease or anything serious.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be happy to help.

Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia (MD- Dermatology)

Follow-up: Marks on penile shaft, looks like wart and is rough. What could it be? 5 hours later

It is only in one spot and that is the spot of where I sent you pictures

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 24 minutes later
Hi Rajpaul,
Welcome again.

So you should be rest assured totally now in this case as there are no any further spots. This makes the condition totally normal. You can apply petroleum jelly or hydrocortisone cream only. This slight bump will take few weeks of time to get settled. It may leave a XXXXXXX which we say as post inflammatory hypo/hyperpigmentation, which will resolve in due course of time. Do not try to squeeze or pinch the area in anxiousness.

If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health"

Follow-up: Marks on penile shaft, looks like wart and is rough. What could it be? 21 minutes later
Thank you so much.

Another quick question, its been 3 months since the bumps been raised (1 month it was flat). is that normal?

Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 8 minutes later
Most welcome my dear for your quick question.
It is normal phenomenon of the body in all the type of eruptions to be flatter first and then raised and again it becomes flat. It varies from one skin condition to another for the time period to be raised and become flat. In "lichenoid eruptions" it even varies from person to person also because of so many factors which are beyond our discussion.
So rest assured regarding your totally benign condition which is neither a Sexually transmitted disease like wart nor anything serious.