Marijuana smoker, smokes while drinking. Experiencing a hoarse voice along with nasal congestion and extreme gerd. Suggest treatment?

I am a34 year old marijuana smoker and I ocassionally smoke cigs while drinking. Lately I have been experencing a hoarse voice along with nassel congestion and what appears to be stuffy ears how ever if I yawn or open my mouth I can ussually pop my ears and they seem to clear.I also have pain not horrible but noticable around my vocal cords and throat area. Im wondering what this could be if its sinuitus or something related to the smoke inhalation. Just as a fyi type thing I also have extreme gerd and take Nexium to help with that but it dosent seem to work all the time. Thanks for your help.
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be both

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

It is likely that both are contributing to your symptoms.
Sinusitis (inflammation of the sinuses) and rhinitis (inflammation of the nasal passages) tend to occur together.

They cause nasal congestion, sneezing, post nasal drip , blocked feeling in the ears, facial pain, headaches, sore throat, cough. Some persons experience only a few of these symptoms , others may experience all of them.

The blocked feeling in the ears is related to abnormal function of the eustachian tube which connects the middle ear to the nasal passages.

Most cases of sinusitis is caused by allergies.

Smoking can inflame the sinuses, they also affect drainage of secretions.

Treatment would involve (1)avoiding any allergens that seem to worsen your sinuses
(2)decreasing smoking
(3)nasal sprays such as beconase, nasonex, rhinocort
(4)anti histamines and decongestants- these would help with the nasal congestion and blocked ears. They are usually available over the counter.

In terms of the GERD- this is treated with the type of medication that you mentioned you are taking.
Other parts of treatment are: using small meals to reduce the amount of acid released
(2) reducing or eliminating the use of fatty/fried/spicy/acidic foods , avoiding tomatoes, chocolate, mints, alcohol
(3)if there is any excess weight, weight loss would reduce the pressure forcing the food and acid up
(4) 2 hour wait after eating before lying down

In some persons there is a bacteria in the stomach called h pylori that is causing gastritis and treatment of this bacteria reduces the symptoms.
If your symptoms do not resolve then you may want to have yourself tested for his bacteria.

It is a blood test.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Marijuana smoker, smokes while drinking. Experiencing a hoarse voice along with nasal congestion and extreme gerd. Suggest treatment? 35 minutes later
They said I had acute gasteritis and they also tested for h pilory and said it came back negitave. I guess a big concern is always the most detrimental of thoughts is like leryngeal cancer however I am 34 and from what I understand though not un heard of it is a shot in hell for someone so young to have that type of cancer. Ive had the endeoscope done and the nassel scope done and both came back great. Ive had two endeoscopes one in late 2010 and the other one done in 2013. The nassel scope was done in 2010 before we did a endeoscope. I plan on cutting back on the XXXXXXX XXXXXXX and I do really try staying away from the cigs unless drinking. What is ur pro oppinion on vaporizers. Just cerious.
Thanks agian
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
laryngeal cancer would be very rare at your age

Detailed Answer:

Though smoking and alcohol use increase the risk of cancer, it would not occur at such a young age.
In addition it would have been found on the tests that were done, so it is unlikely that you have this cancer.

Vaporisers are helpful for sinusitis because they help to relieve the congestion. If you have one, it may help with your symptoms.
You can also try placing a warm compress on your face- this also encourages drainage.

Please feel free to ask any other questions