Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

Marijuana planted in home. House is full of mold. Diagnosed with cellulitus. Is this caused by mold?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 1229 Questions
My last renters grew marijuana in my home and with-in 8 months my new home was full of mold. My insurance covered it under vandalism...but, AAA's abatement person (hygienist) lied on the reports and gave a clearance on mold. (I now have an attorney) But, though my home was cleared they continued to remediate all the upstairs and garage) then the AAA's reconstruction people came in. Believing my home was cleared of mold spores myself along with several friends, a real estate lady and the people who were going to buy my home were exposed to the mold. I live two hours away from my rental and I spent many, many nights and days there. (this has been going on for one and one half years) I never signed the 'certificate of completion' because the reconstruction people put my home back together with cheap material etc, etc, In the meantime I ended up for 16 day in the hospital with cellulitus......I told my doctor the only thing I could think of at the time was that I was bit by a bug. Real long and still ongoing story is I paid a lot of money to bring in one of the best Mold Inspectors to re-inspect my home. The findings were almost every room was red flagged. Do you believe my cellulitus could be caused by mold?
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 3 hours later

Thanks for your query at XXXXXXX

Mold is a fungus. It grows when a spot in the house has been fairly damp for a long time.

Bacteria in a house grow where there has been actual accumulation of puddles of water.

Mold (fungus) that grows in humid conditions is usually non-infectious in nature. If it does cause symptoms in humans, the symptoms are usually in the respiratory tract.

Cellulitis is usually caused by bacteria. The type of exposure can be a direct contact with contaminated water, in which case bacteria like streptococcus are suspected. It can also be inoculation of the bacteria into broken skin, in which case other set of bacteria are suspected.

We should also consider stress and diabetic state as a factors causing increased susceptibility to infections.

In my opinion, the cellulitis may have been caused by ongoing stress along with exposure to the bacteria growing in a water collection in the house and perhaps due to high blood sugar. You should discuss with your treating doctor to exclude each of these factors.

I hope I addressed your concerns.

Dr Vaishalee Punj
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor