Mammogram showed breast vascular calcification, skipped heatbeat. Am I at risk for more coronary problems?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a little concerned when i had my mammogram today they noted i had breast vascular calcifications scattered around my breast. I have been having skipped heart beats and have always had a fast heartbeat despite exercising 3 to 4 times a week. I wake up at times with a fast heartbeat. I had a stress test and monitor test done about 2 years ago everything looked ok except for fast heart rate and pvc. I am 53 years old and have a tendency toward anxiety at times. Can anxiety cause these deposits? What further test should i have Am i at risk for more coronary problems.are the breast calcifications the same as heart calcifications? How can i prevent this I take no meds except iron slow fe x 2 a day. I eat a good diet mostly vegies. I do not smoke. Could the iron cause this
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later

Vascular calcifications of the breast may be related to increased cholesterol levels and makes you more prone to coronary artery calcifications too.

PVC (premature ventricular contractions) and a fast heart rate are not likely to be related to these calcifications. Anxiety can aggravate hypertension increasing your risk for coronary artery disease but anxiety directly does not affect the vascular calcification of breast.

You need to have complete cardiac monitoring including stress test done under the guidance of your cardiologist.

Iron supplements does not cause such calcifications. Reducing the fat intake will help in reducing further deposits.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Mammogram showed breast vascular calcification, skipped heatbeat. Am I at risk for more coronary problems? 53 minutes later
so having breast calcifications in the vascular are not the XXXXXXX kind associated with heart blockage or carodid artery blockage? My cholesterol blood level is good so why am i getting these calcifications. How often should you have heart testing done?
Does having the calcifications in the breast mean that it has affected all other arteries in my body. You have been wonderful thanks so much
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thanks for writing again.
Vascular calcifications in breast as such are not XXXXXXX and are not always associated with coronary artery calcifications. If your cholesterol levels are good then there is nothing to worry.
Cardiac screening investigations should be done annually at your age.
The calcification in breast arteries does not necessarily mean that all other arteries are also affected.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.