Mammogram showed breast tissues composed of scattered fibroglandular densities. Does this mean cancer?

I have been taking my mammogram every year and every year it has come back normal. This past week, I took it again and they want me to take it again because the left breast tissues is composed of scattered fibroglandular densities. In the central aspect, middle third of the left breast, there is a low-density mass. Does this mean cancer?
Posted Sun, 13 Oct 2013 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello, I would be happy to help you!

Detailed Answer:
No, this does not mean that you have cancer. The mammogram is a "screening" test and there are fair number of false-positive results. Think of it this way - in order to catch EVERYONE with breast cancer, there are going to be a large number of 'false-alarms'. While you cannot rule out breast cancer without a 'diagnostic test' which usually involved additional, more focuses views of the area in question, and possibly biopsies, I would not go into this thinking that you have breast cancer unless proven otherwise.

Does this make sense? I hope that it helps.
Follow-up: Mammogram showed breast tissues composed of scattered fibroglandular densities. Does this mean cancer? 10 minutes later
But based on what the diagnosis is right now, could it be breast cancer? I am terrified.
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It cannot be ruled out yet, but...

Detailed Answer:
Here is some more specific data regarding the PRELIMINARY finding in your scan (quoting from a reputable source):

"The most specific mammographic feature of malignancy is a spiculated focal mass (which you do not have). Of note, the DENSITY of a non-calcified mass is a significant factor in predicting malignancy. Seventy percent of masses with high density were malignant, and 22 percent of masses with low density were malignant in one study."

So based on the non-specific findings that you describe, and the LACK of calcifications / spiculations, I would place your risk of breast cancer at 1 in 5 at the WORST. So think about it this way - if there were 100 of you in a room, at most 20 of you would have breast cancer.

I hope that this helps, please let me know!