Mammogram reveals white line on left breast, biopsy says touch of cancer in the area. Blood work and other test normal. Should be worried ?

My mother is 75 years old and went for her yearly mammogram and they found a white line on her left breast. The surgeon performed a biopsy and it indicated a touch of cancer in the area. Tommorrow she is going for a bone scan, a ekg, and blood work. Her internist doctor told her yesterday every thing inside of her was fine including bloodwork. Should she be worried about any other indications about the cancer and is she too old for chemotheraphy as part of her treatment options?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 54 minutes later
It is good that your mother's cancer was detected at an early stage. Since her blood investigations, bone scan, etc are all normal, it means the tumor is only localized and radical mastectomy will be helpful in eradicating the tumor cells.
Chemotherapy is given to avoid any recurrence and distant metastasis.
Even if she is old and fragile she will have to go through this to improve her quality of life and life expectancy.
She need not worry as any side effects arising from chemotherapy can be adequately controlled with appropriate medicines.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.