Mammogram report states apparent area of developing density in posterior right upper outer quadrant. Meaning?

Hello Doctor, I am a 63 year old female with some questions about my annual mammogram results. The radiologist report stated the posterior right upper outer quadrant, there is an apparent area of developing density with some questionable architectural distortion. Asks for additional ML views, spot compression views and probable right breast ultrasound. There are no other masses or suspicious microcalcifications identified in either breast. There are no other areas of architectural distortion.
I am so nervous about what this could maternal grandmother had breast cancer at the age of 36. Please give me some idea of what tbis all means. Thank you

Posted Sat, 24 Aug 2013 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 hours later
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this troubling finding on your right breast mammogram.

Annual mammograms are useful so that any breast changes susceptible of becoming cancerous or being cancerous can be picked up in time and addressed timely and fully guaranteeing total cure from breast cancer. Your fears are real and genuine. No woman in your shoes will pretend to be fine with an inconclusive and worrisome finding like this one.

There is one thing I want you to understand. I want you to see this mammogram as a solution and not a problem. if it has been able to call our attention to an inconclusive finding that need further investigation, then we should be happy because no matter the outcome, it couldn't have been any better than it being investigated and managed now. Count yourself lucky for not being among those who have had similar lesions missed on routine exams only to find out when it is too late.

This said, the fact that your mother had cancer and more so at a very young age puts you at a higher risk of having breast cancer than the general population. this doesn't mean that you will for sure develop cancer. Beside, these results are not conclusive for any breast cancer. They are just findings that need further investigation and this is what you are doing with your doctors.

If there is anything that is worth investing in now is looking for definite answers to this troubling finding. Worrying more about the finding isn't a solution or neither is it helping us move forward. Follow up with your doctors and get these very much needed answers after doing the proposed tests. STOP thinking this is cancer, only a tiny proportion of changes like these really end up being breast cancers. Remember they are breast tissue changes noted and not breast tissue changes caused by cancer.

In conclusion. this means we shall do more tests to identify what is going on. For now, we label it breast changes and with time you will get definitive answers with the worse possible diagnosis being breast cancer. But even if it were to be breast cancer, it is most likely going to be easily treatable fully compared to more advanced forms.

I hope the above information is helpful and shapes your approach to this finding and how you should handle it. Let's deal with this and we shall be glad we did. If there are ore related questions you wish that I address, please ask them and I will happily do so.
I wish you well and the best of outcomes related to this finding.
Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Mammogram report states apparent area of developing density in posterior right upper outer quadrant. Meaning? 2 hours later
Thank you for your reply. I have the follow up tests scheduled for this coming Tuesday. It is just too much time to think about things that this could be. I do realize that I am fortunate the radiologist has asked for the additional is just very hard to wait. By the way, it was my grandmother who had the breast cancer in 1936 and had a radical mastectomy. She lived into her 80's so I realize she was fortunate that her cancer was found without benefit of mammograms or other testing that we have today. If I have further questions on Tuesday, I would like to keep this that possible?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Thank you so much for following up with me.

Waiting is for sure hard. I know you cannot stop thinking about this and I totally understand. What I am asking you is not to allow this to keep you not to function at all.

Please, feel free to keep it open. I am also interested to know what has been the outcome of my clients investigations. However, please don't post a reply right now because I am obliged to answer within 20hours and you may run out of further abilities to ask more questions. I will expect your feedback as soon as you get the results. I have also noted the updates about your grandma.

I wish you well and the best of outcome. Keep busy and let Tuesday come in even faster. Once more, thank you and hope to hear from you.
Dr. Ditah, MD.