Mammogram, focal asymmetry, breast reduction surgery, breast cancer, mastectomy. Another cancer?

Oncologist
Question
Hi, I recently had a mammogram and the report said "focal asymmetry consistent with breast reduction surgery. I had a reduction in 2005, but 2 years ago I had breast cancer in my right breast and I had a mastectomy. Needless to say, I am very nervous. Is this likely to be another breast cancer? I am 55 and otherwise in good health.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Breast Cancer

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later

This mammogram seems to be pretty normal and you need not worry about this.

However, can you mention in which BIRADS category has it been placed in the report? It helps in understanding the breast lesions better.

Awaiting your reply.

Follow-up: Mammogram, focal asymmetry, breast reduction surgery, breast cancer, mastectomy. Another cancer? 44 hours later
Hi Doc,
Thanks for easing my mind a little. I don' t know what birads category it is and since I had never heard of it, I didn't know to ask. I have to have another mammogram on Tuesday. Is that usual for this kind of thing? I am just so fearful of another breast cancer. Thanks

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 5 hours later
Thanks for the query,

BI-RADS is an acronym for Breast Imaging-Reporting and Data System.

Repeat mammogram may be needed (after 3-6 months), but only for BIRADS category 3.

I don't think your mammogram falls in that category. Ask your radiologist to report the BIRADS category.

BI-RADS Assessment Categories are:
0: Incomplete
1: Negative
2: Benign finding(s)
3: Probably benign
4: Suspicious abnormality
5: Highly suggestive of malignancy
6: Known biopsy – proven malignancy

Hope my answer is adequate,

Follow-up: Mammogram, focal asymmetry, breast reduction surgery, breast cancer, mastectomy. Another cancer? 2 days later
Hi Doc,
I had the second mammogram yesterday, along with an ultrasound. The US was normal. The area on the mammogram they were looking at, spread out when they did the compression. So the radiologist said he was confident it was scarring from the reduction surgery, but he still wants me to come back in 6 months for another mammogram and US. He said birads 3. I'm ready to just have the second breast removed and avoid all this worry. Is this something that is feasible? Thanks.

Hello again,

These fresh reports have confirmed again that it is unlikely to be cancer.

You can stop worrying and get the mammogram repeated in six months time as advised.

I suggest you not to go for the second surgery.