Mammogram done for follicular non-hodgkins lymphoma. What does the finding suggest?

Hi- my daughter has Folllicular non-hodgkins lymphoma- she just had a mammogram this week- the tech was surprised that nothing has been done yet- you could see the lym;ph nodes in her breast. She is in a "wait and see"mode right now. She had a ct scan last week- dr. cheson said not to worry at this point. we are waiting for a call back from the radiotogist who reads the mammogram- What does it mean with the breasts. Has it matastisised (can't spell it)- thanks for any info you can provided. - she a 44 yr old with 2 small children- was diagnosed 1 1/2 yrs ago.
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Thanks for writing in.

Follicular lymphoma is an indolent disease and many times remains stable for years without treatment. However, it is usually not curable unless it is localised to only one site. Hence, if the patient is asymptomatic and the disease involves >1 group of nodes, the patient is observed ( wait and watch). This is done so that potentially harmful therapy can be postponed as much as possible (without compromising the survival).

As your daughter is being observed only, it is quite natural that the nodes were seen on mammogram. These are axilary nodes and related to the lymphoma, not breast cancer. Probably these were there before also. If she is otherwise doing well, with no fever, weight loss, night sweats, low hemoglobin or platelet, etc, I
would recommend to continue observation only.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.