Malignant tumor removed. Experiencing tingling sensation in liver. Should I reduce the dose of lopid?

Hello. My fiance had a malignant tumor removed from his liver in 2004. He is fine but was prescribed LOPID one year ago for high cholesterol levels. (2 oer day, I don't know the dosage). He has recently been experiencing twinges in the liver area which he says feels the same as the pain he had in 2004. I am concerned because, since his liver has already been compromised, isn't it XXXXXXX for him to be taking any statins? Also, he is incarcerated, so I don't know the level of care he is getting. It can be spotty at best. He is 61 yrs old, 202 lbs and in otherwise excellent health. Can you please tell me if it is safe for him to reduce or eliminate his Lopid medicine?

Thank you so much,

Posted Sat, 13 Apr 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 47 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.

Lopid (gemfibrozil) is usually given at at dose of 1200 mg per day (2 tabs of 600 mg each per day), so he is getting the right dose. Liver function abnormalities are known to occur occasionally with gemfibrozil and hence routine monitoring of liver function tests (LFT) is recommended. You have not mentioned if these are routinely done in your fiancee and the results, if any.

As he has hereditary hyperlipidemia I would not recommend stopping the drug just like that. Certainly he needs investigations to find out the cause of his recent symptoms, which may include an ultrasound of the liver and LFT at the bare minimum.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be happy to answer any follow-up queries.
Best Wishes,