Malformed coccyx, enlarged. Have thinner bowel movements. Had a c-section delivery. Worry now?

I have a hard growth or perhaps malformed coccyx. Seems enlarged on the left side. I have thinner bowel movements from time to time and sometimes feel that my bowels have not been completely evacuated. This "growth" or whatever it is does not cause pain but sometimes mild discomfort when I sit on a hard surface. I did notice this malformation about 10 years ago but it never cause any problems. I have lost about 10 pounds recently (on purpose) and wonder if the decreased amount of fat in that region is just making me notice it more. No blood in stool. I did have my GP take a look at it but she only took a brief palate and said it was nothing. Finally, I did give birth to a 9 lb 11 oz baby 8 years ago. He was ultimately delivered by csection as it turned out he was sideways but I did push for almost 3 hours.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 3 hours later
Hi there. Thank you for posting your question here on XXXXXXX

The first thing you need to accept is that your coccyx is normal. You must try and separate in your mind ideas you might have about abnormalities in your coccyx with your other symptoms. As an anatomical structure the coccyx, a residual tail, is always asymmetrical and variable. Your coccyx, as you describe it, is perfectly normal.

Once you accept this then all the other things you mention, like "growth", loss of fat and your recent Cesarean section, can be separated out of what your real concern aught to be: That, as I understand it, is your recurring loose bowel movements. In medicine we have a rule about this that says:

"Any change in bowel habits, either constipation or diarrhea, that lasts for more than two weeks and that can not be explained by dietary change, needs to be investigated"

If this is true of your situation then I urge you to stop worrying about your coccyx but rather to seek medical advise for the real worry - unexplained change in bowel habit.

In all probability this will turn out to be something of no great consequence. But simply ignoring it, or trying to ascribed it to irrelevant perceived abnormalities in your coccyx is not wise.

I hope that you can accept this and act accordingly. Here is to your ongoing good health!