Male yeast infection on scrotum and penis. Itches, pricks and sensitive. Treatment for resistant yeast infections?

I have had a male yeast infection on my scrotum and penis for the past two months. My genital area is sensitive and it itches. Sometimes I feel a needle prick sensation. I have been on a 200mg floconazole treatment for 7 days but it did not cure it. I was then placed on a terbinafine 250mg treatment for 14 days and just finished it. I was prescribed a nystop powder which helped with the symptoms, however I still feel that daily discomfort. I was reading online about resistant candida yeast infections like candida glabrata. I have been tested for all the STD's and the test came back negative. Is there any good treatments for resistant yeast infections?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 16 hours later

Thank you for posting the query.

You have provided with good information regarding your skin problem and it is a very good description. I appreciate it.

You have taken a good antifungal treatment as well. This is the reason that I would like to confirm whether you are actually having a candidial/yeast infection or any other irritant reaction on penis and scrotum. I would like to reconfirm the diagnosis.

Even though resistant infections are seen but they are more common in females than in males. Also, it is important that if you are having a sexual contact with you partner, then she also need to be treated , otherwise you would get re-infected.

If you can send me a picture of the lesion then probably I can help you further on this .You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.

I would also like to know whether you are using any cleansing solution regularly to cleanse the genitals like detol or savlon. These may have irritant reaction on the sensitive skin if applied directly.

In resistant yeast infections nystatin cream works well and probably that’s the reason you responded well to nystop powder. Try and see if you can get a cream of the same.

Otherwise if terbinafine and fluconazole have not worked then you can go for itraconazole tablet. Also use nystatin for a longer period.

You can consider consulting a dermatologist for proper diagnosis and prescription since itraconazole is not an over the counter drug.

But if you can reply me with the answers and the pictures, I would be able to advise you better.

Awaiting your reply.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology.