Male with lupus and spondyloarthropathy on Methotrexate injections. Having sexual relations. Is oral sex safe when using methotrexate?

Question
Am 50 yo male with lupus and spondyloarthropathy on Methotrexate injections. I am embarking on an affair with a lady who has had other sexual partners . I intend to use condoms for penetrative sex, but is oral sex safe for me and the lady when I am on Methotrexate ? Thank you
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in Lupus

Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 49 minutes later

I appreciate your intention of using condoms for the penetrative sex. Oral sex by itself is safe for the woman and you when you are on Methotrexate. However, it would be better to have the condom on before you receive oral sex. You could use one that is dotted for more pleasure.

If the HIV status of both of you is negative, you could well go ahead with unprotected oral sex. Beware of other STDs like Genital warts and Herpes as these spread through oral sex as well.

Wish you enjoyable sexual life.

Take care!