Male umbilical hernia repair surgery done. Developed substantial infection. How long will it take to get cured?

General Surgeon
Male umbilicle hernia repair. My surgery went well and was healing for the last 2 weeks without any problems On the 3rd week after surgery, I have developed a substantial infection with swelling around the naval and now taking antibiotics Cephalexin Capsules BP for 3 days. Swelling still persisting but now starting to weep. What is the best way of cleaning and do I dress the area now that it has the seeping. It is still very swollen, hard and red. How long post surgery is the average healing time? How long will it take for the antibiotics to work? How long before I feel no discomfort at all. What are the symptoms that I will be feeling in the next weeks or months. Thank you.
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rajat Gupta 4 hours later

The infection you have got at the site of naval is a difficult problem to deal with.

I would like to know, whether any surgical mesh was used for hernia repair or not.

This is because mesh infection is extremely difficult to treat and more often than not require excision of mesh.

Presuming the mesh was not used for repair, and swelling has started with discharge of pus. This requires daily dressing and a course of antibiotics with anti-inflammatory for around a week.

You should send the draining pus for culture and antibiotic sensitivity investigation also.

If everything goes well, the infection depending on severity should start subsiding by next 3 days.

It may however take you up to 10 days to be completely treated.

Hope I have answered all your questions.

Awaiting your reply and wishing you a speedy recovery.

Dr. Rajat Gupta