Male pattern baldness, hereditary problem, no regular hair fall. What can cure this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi i am suffering male pattern baldness.Mostly the patches are observed in the front side of my head.What should i do for that.Also i dont have a regular hair fall issue.Also this is hereditary for me..
Posted Tue, 19 Jun 2012 in Hair Loss

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 3 hours later
Hi there.

Since when are you suffering from hair loss ?

Do the older men in your family also have the similar balding pattern ?

Do you have severe dandruff, oily skin ?

According to the clinical history it appears to be a case of Male pattern baldness or Androgenic alopecia. This is expected to begin in most men in their 20s. The hair loss begins in the regions of the temples and then gradually the top portion or crown region of the head gradually gets involved. This is due to the relationship of male hormones and the receptors in the scalp and hair follicles.

This condition is usually genetic and can run in the family.

I would advise you to have a well balanced diet XXXXXXX in fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink 1-2 litres of water daily. Avoid sunlight exposure. Avoid stress. Perform Yoga for stress relief. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily.

You should benefit from the use of Minoxidil hair lotion which may be prescribed to you by your Dermatologist after a complete physical examination. This medication is known to increase the hair growth and decrease hair fall in male pattern baldness due to effect on male hormonal action on the scalp and also by increasing the blood supply to the scalp to promote hair growth. Within few weeks to months you shall begin to see the beneficial effects.

Other medication like Finasteride may also help to reduce the hair fall. Hair transplantation is also an option for severe baldness. Kindly discuss these options with your Dermatologist and Trichologist.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing good health.

Follow-up: Male pattern baldness, hereditary problem, no regular hair fall. What can cure this? 41 hours later

Hi Doctor,

Thanks for your reply.The following is the reply for ur ques asked to me.

Ans:-I do not have a regular hairfall.Till now i have experienced hair fall once in my life time and that was because i was working in night shifts and after taking some ayurvedic medicines it stopped.Now i work in regular shift so no more night shifts for me..But i have noticed small patches on the front of my head from my early childhood.Also i have a big forehead.I can mail u the pics for that if required.

Ans:-yes my father has receding hair line.

Ans:-I do not have dandruff but i do have oily skin.

So now should go and see a dermatologist and ask him a proper medication.Can hairs can re-grow on the bald patched on my head

Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 6 hours later
Hi there.

Thanks for the reply.

I am a bit concerned about the small bald patches which has appeared on your scalp in your childhood as it can be a particular types of auto-immune hairfall pattern called Alopecia areata. There are other causes for the same as well which needs to be discerned by a thorough physical examination by a skilled Trichologist or Dermatologist at a good Hair clinic.

Minoxidil when applied to any area of the scalp with hair loss will definitely stimulate hair growth and you will find appreciable results within 4-6 months in most cases.

I hope I have answered your query.

Wishing good health.