Made physical contact about 10 days prior to menstrual cycle. Possibility of pregnancy. Can i-pill be taken, its consequences?

Question
Hi, I am a 24 years old female. I have a query. My periods are dated for next month 6th -8th of February. I had made physical contact on 27th January. Will it be a possibility for pregnancy? And in such doubtful cases, should one take an i-pill?? If in actual scene, there would not be a pregnancy, and one takes an i-pill under a doubt, what will happen?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

Pregnancy can occur close to ovulation which is the release of a single, mature egg from a follicle that developed in the ovary. It usually occurs regularly, around day 14 of a 28-day menstrual cycle. The unsafe period for pregnancy starts from 6 days prior to and including ovulation. So if your next menstrual cycle is to occur on 6th-8th February, there is a chance that pregnancy can occur if you had unprotected intercourse on 27th January.

As for the Ipill, You can take it within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse. Its efficacy is highest if taken within 12 hours and then goes on decreasing as time passes. If taken just before 72 hours, its efficacy is no more than 58%.

If I pill is taken in pregnancy, The fetus suffered no toxicity and fetuses were also not harmed in any way. The chances of injury to the fetus are minimal if the drug is taken before 8 weeks of gestation. If taken after 8 weeks, the female fetus may develop signs of virilisation (such as hair at unwanted places like face, XXXXXXX male-type voice) though this itself will be in very few cases.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.

Regards.

Follow-up: Made physical contact about 10 days prior to menstrual cycle. Possibility of pregnancy. Can i-pill be taken, its consequences? 21 minutes later
Thanks for the answer doctor. As I understand, you said there will be chances of pregnances. And this says, there may or may not be. So in case, if a woman takes an i-pill just as a precaution, and when actually its just a doubt and not a pregnancy in real, then how can that intake of i-pill with in 72 hours effect? Will the be any adverse effect?
Also, if there s a pregnancy, and i-pill is taken, what are the results, periods just after?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 16 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Since you had unprotected intercourse close to ovulation, hence risk of pregnancy is always there. If you take I pill as a precaution with no pregnancy, they disrupt ovulation or fertilization, which are steps necessary for pregnancy and hence prevents pregnancy. I pill has side effects which include nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, fatigue, headache, dizziness, and breast tenderness.

If there is a pregnancy, then I pill will not cause any abortion and will not have any significant side effect on the fetus during the first 8 weeks of pregnancy. If periods come after intake of I pill then this bleeding could be because of breakthrough bleeding caused as a side effect due to hormonal action of the pill or your period bleeding. In case it is period bleeding then it means that you are not pregnant because if pregnancy occurs, there is cessation of the menstrual cycles.

Regards.

Follow-up: Made physical contact about 10 days prior to menstrual cycle. Possibility of pregnancy. Can i-pill be taken, its consequences? 1 hour later
Okay. So, to avoid even the risks of pregnancy, I should take i-pill within 72 hours of the intercourse. Right? That's my last question, and I am done then. Thanks for the answers doctor.

Thanks for writing back to me.

To avoid pregnancy, you should take the Ipill within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse; the earlier it is taken, the better.

Hope this answers your query.

Regards.