Ask a Urologist   »  

MRi showed blood clot in bladder. Suffered heavier periods. Cause? Will I need surgery?

hello, beginning of September I went for a MRI because in XXXXXXX I had a ultrasound done on my uterus and they said they saw a spot and wanted to see what it was. MRI came back saying it was an 8cm Blood Clot or Fungas Ball in my bladder. I am 45 year old female. No problems. The only reason I was sent for the ultrasound was because I said I had heavier periods and my iron was low. Still have not heard from a Urologist, info was faxed last week. Wondering what you think will be done. I am worried as there is not much about this on line regarding women. Will it be surgery? Is it fixable?
Posted Tue, 15 Oct 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Most likely a cystoscopy will be of help

Detailed Answer:
Offhand it seems difficult to believe that there could be a fugal ball floating around in the bladder without any features of sepsis, especially in a non-diabetic patient. Even a blood clot is unusual in that you give no history of having had blood in urine. So the best way forward would be to go for a cystoscopy. Prior to performing a cystoscopy, your urine may be sent for cytology to assess if any unusual cells are being passed in the urine.
This cystoscopy is an endoscopic examination of the interior of urinary bladder and should not take longer than 10 minutes. Should there be an area of concern, the urologist will be able to retrieve the tissue from the suspicious area and send it for biopsy. Depending on the findings of cystoscopy, we can proceed further.
Hope I have been of help.