MRSA bone infection, had knee surgery. Doctor is sending him home early. Is this safe?

Hello... My Dad had knee surgery a lil over a month ago and has had nothing but problems since... they just found out about 4 day ago now that he has an infection and that it is also in the bone .... they have now also said it's MRSA infection ... From what I have read I wouldn't think he'd becoming home for at 7 days if not 14 but last time his Doctor came in (which was this morning) he was talking like he was still sending him home tomorrow? Is this safe? For his sake as well as my Mom's? Also because they have wall to wall carpet and no where to really room him to try and keep more sertile... Just looking for another opinion as I am very concerned for both my parents well being!

Posted Tue, 3 Jul 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 4 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I appreciate your concern if we divide in two parts:
a) Is it appropriate to discharge the patient with MRSA infection?
b) Is there any likelihood of anybody else in the family to catch this infection?

To answer a, MRSA also responds to antibiotics and if those are properly administered at home it is better for rehabilitation that patient is discharged. So I think your dad will be good if he is discharged. With the provision that Visiting Nurse Attendants to ensure that drugs are given as needed and advised by the doctors. It will involve at least a periodic visit back to the hospital for further advice and physiotherapy.

To answer b), Provided there is no member in the family who is very young and any one who is immuno compromised (taking corticosteroid therapy, diabetic or having malignancy-these are the people who can catch the bug from the patient not normal person). These members of family, of course can not come in close contact with the patient. Though, some protocol of reverse sterilization will have to followed at home for all. I am sure that is not inconvenient. If you mom is able to follow the above precautions and she does not have any conditions mentioned above, I am sure she'll be fine.

I would urge you to discuss these concerns with the hospital staff and I am sure they will be more than happy to allay your fears. I am not sure about your state but in some states a statutory form which has to be filed if you feel your patient is discharged early. Ask for that if you are not satisfied.

If you have any followup query I will be more than happy to answer that.

With Best Wishes

Dr Anil Grover