MRI suggests presence of soft plaque. Angiography came clear. Advise

Question
I HAVE HAD AN ANGIOGRAM AND APPARENTLY IT WAS ALL CLEAR WHICH IS SURPRISING AS I AM A 68 YEAR OLD XXXXXX WHO ARE PRONE TO PLAQUE BUILDUP ETC.. IN A M R I IT WAS DISCOVERED THAT I HAVE SOFT PLAQUE? AND IT IS IN THE 40 % TO 60 % RANGE .THEY COULD NOT BE SURE OF THE SOFT PLAQUE % AS THE REPORT STATES THAT MY BODY MOVED BUT THEY GUESSTIMATE IT TO BE IN THAT RANGE. .HOW XXXXXXX IS THE SOFT PLAQUE BUILD UP NO ONE CAN PROVIDE A SATISFACTORY ANSWER AND MY CARDIOLOGIST IS TOO BUSY TO EVEN TALK TO ME...thank you
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Anantharamakrishnan 3 hours later
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Why was the investigation done?
If you are symptomatic, go for cardiac catheterisation ad coronary angiography, with a view for possible intervention...That is the gold standard...

A soft plaque is prone for rupture / and hence the risk even at lower ranges....
When calcified, it becomes hard and is obstructive at 70 % and beyond...

Life style changes - diet and exercise - help.
Aggressive reduction of Lipids helps. Statins are especially useful - they have actions beyond cholesterol reduction...
Blood thinners help - may be you are on? - after valve replacement / if not start on anti-platelet agent like aspirin.

Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck