MRI shows white spot on hip, taken steroid for arthritis, hip pain. Abnormal PAP smear. Had hysterectomy. Hip cancer?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I just got my mri results today and the dr told me I have a white spot on my left hip. He is going to repeat the mri in 8 weeks. I had a short and long term steroid shot for my right hip today that showed arthritis and an infusion. My right hip hurts alot. I also have had a complete hysterectomy 29 years ago for carcioma in citu. Now my pap smear has come back abnormal showing a squatamous lesion. Do you think I could have cancer in my hip and what about my other issues going on?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later

Your first query is whether you have cancer of hip.

The diagnosis of cancer of any bone wil require a detailed history , thorough examination and few tests like Computed tomography scan , or mri or a bone or positon emission tomography scan.

I am sure your doctor has diagnosed arthritis of hip and thats the reason he has started you on steroids.The white spot on mri does not always confirm as cancer , thats the reason your doctor has asked a repeat scan later on to rule out other infective or inflammatory conditions which by 8 weeks should resolve with ongoing treatment.

So don't panic , every lesion is not cancer, but yes we need to be vigilant enough in a person who already has a history of carcinoma since spread to bones is a known complication. Though any tumour already treated and removed 29 years ago is unlikely to spread now after so long an interval.

Your second query is about cervical cancer .Carcinoma in situ is an early stage of cancer and if treated adequately the chances of spread or recurrence are less than a gross cervical cancer with visible lesion.i.e.stage 1 to 3..

Moreover squamous changes on pap smear can also occur infection and biopsy may be required to rule out atypical or cancerous cells.

You should consult your doctor for the same and make sure you give him a detailed account of all your problems both hip and gynaecological to help him come to a conclusion and order the necessary investigations.

Till then you should maintain a balanced diet and a positive attitude to deal with your issues.

Remember there are many advanced treatment modalities and you should not fear your illness be it arthritis or cancer, just go ahead and fight them.

For your arthritis pain try physiotherapy for better symptomatic relief in addition to medicines.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available for any follow up queries.