MRI shows torn ligament in wrist, discontinuity of ulnar collateral ligament. Should I be concerned?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
MRI results show three torn ligament in the wrist and osseous contusion or non displaced fracture within the hook of the hamate. I did not see a hand specialist and was placed in a removable splint. One of the torn ligaments shows a discontinuity of the ulnar collateral ligament, should I see hand specialist or have a hard cast. The injury happened 4 weeks ago should I be concerned with the discontinuity??? or the possible fracture???
There is also discontinuity of the radioulnar ligament and edema and irregularity of the radioschapocapitate ligament. Just looking for some answers, my ortho doc has not been very informative, this is my right wrist, which I am right handed and I also have a fracture of the radial head in the right arm which is healing fine. I have never had any torn ligaments or fractures so I am just concerned. The MRI I had was with contrast.
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX

From your contrast MRI reports , it looks like Triangular fibrocartilage complex(TFCC) injury.Triangular fibrocartilage complex (TFCC) injuries of the wrist affect the ulnar (little finger) side of the wrist.The triangular fibrocartilage complex (TFCC) suspends the ends of the radius and ulna bones over the wrist. It is triangular in shape and made up of several ligaments and cartilage.Traumatic injury or a fall onto an outstretched hand is the most common mechanism of injury.

From description your wrist seems to be stable, so I advice you for the conservative or nonoperative treatment.You need splint for two more weeks to immobilize (hold still) your wrist and allow scar tissue to help heal it.After two weeks of immobilization, you need good physical therapy to regain the full range of

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.

Wishing you speedy recovery...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Follow-up: MRI shows torn ligament in wrist, discontinuity of ulnar collateral ligament. Should I be concerned? 27 minutes later

I have uploaded my MRI report, I just started wearing a removeable splint on Monday, should I be in a hard cast or is the removeable splint fine. And yes I did fall, also what about the possible fracture of the hamate??
Hello Mam,
Thanks for posting your query again.

I am gone through your uploaded MRI report.It is good to know that triangular fibro cartilage is intact and the injury not seems to be severe.So do not worry too much.It is fine to wear removeable splint.You have not to worry about osseous contusion or non displaced fracture of hamate.If fracture is there,it will take 3-4 weeks to heal.

I hope I have provided you the right guidance. Please feel free to revert back for any clarifications. Please close this discussion, if you do not have any other queries.

Good luck-- I hope things go well.

Dr Sauarbh Gupta