MRI shows slipped disc. Have leg and back pain. Alternative to surgery?

Spine Surgeon
As per MRI report , there is a slip disk in my L4 - L5 . Having pain in my left leg & left bak . Would requesgt you to confirm is there any other option other than the operation ?
Posted Wed, 10 Apr 2013 in Osteoporosis
Answered by Dr. Krishna Kumar 8 hours later

Thank you for sharing your problem with me.

I understand you have disc prolapse with back and left leg pain. Surgery is usually not the first option.
The other options would be to try oral medications for pain with physiotherapy. If you do not improve, we could ask for injections to be taken in the back called epidural injection or root block by which medicine is directly injected over the prolapsed disc compressing the nerve.

So medicines and physio may be tried for 6-8 weeks and injection, if not better. Think of surgery only after trying these methods.

Hope I was able to clarify your question

Thank you