MRI shows problem in lumbo-sacral spine, have back bain, breastfeeding. Want specialist comments on report

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Dear Doctor,
1.      I am attaching here a report of my sister’s MRI Scan of Lumbo-sacral spine. She is having some problem in L4-5 & L5-S1.
2.     She is having a baby of 4 months and feeding him by own.
3.     She was having severe pain in left lower back last month but due to child feeding she was not given any hard core medicine.
4.     My question is that kindly, examine the report and give specialist comments. Suggestion for any medicine also. She is taking rest and no hard job is for her at home. Kindly suggest some medicine and any ointment or exercise which may help her. Can THIO-QUEST – 8 mg or any lower category medicine be taken by her, I have heard that this is very useful for lower back pain.

5. Will LS belt help her to get rid off from back pain. Can this LS contour belt assist her for recovering fast.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later

I have gone through the reports attached in the query and my suggestions are as follows:

1. Your sister is having degenerative disc changes at L4-L5 and L5 - S1 level. There is also some mild disc prolapse at L5-S1 level with nerve root compression that may be causing the pain and other symptoms.

2. The main treatment of such pain is BED REST along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. The tab. Thioquest contains a muscle relaxant. It can help with her symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic.
You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from your Orthopedician after examination.

3. Since your sister is breast feeding, calcium supplements are also necessary.

4. Local analgesic gels and hot fomentation may provide a short term relief. She can use analgesic gels like Volini gel. Exercise is NOT advisable in the times of acute pain.

5. Using Lumbo Sacral contour belt of appropriate size might be helpful in providing support to back muscles.

I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Praveen Tayal.