MRI shows bulky ovaries. Does it require surgery? What causes this and is this treatable?

Question
my wife has bulky overies it came in MRI report done for spine related issues. what cause this and it this treatable? some of my friends told me that it requires surgery.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Meenakshi Titoria Sahu 1 hour later

Need of the surgery depends on the age of the patient, size of the ovaries and characteristics of ovaries.

If the patient is in mid of the cycle i,e at the time of ovulation, ovary is likely to be slightly enlarged.

If the ovarian enlargement is because of polycystic ovarian disease, it can be treated by medicine.

Therefore my advise for you is consult a Gynecologist with the report.

Hope i have answered your query.I will be available for follow up.

Best wishes,

Follow-up: MRI shows bulky ovaries. Does it require surgery? What causes this and is this treatable? 2 hours later
Thanks for your answer.

MRI report excat words are "BOTH OVARIES APPEAR BULKY AND SHOW SMALL PERIPHERAL FOLLICLES" and suggestion includes "THE OVERAIN APPERANCE CAN BE EVALUATED BY PELVIC ULTRASOUND TO INVESTIGATE THE POSSIBILITY OF POLYCYSTIC OVARIES"

Can you pls explain what does the small peripheral follicles mean?

Hi and thanks again,

Peripheral arrangement of follicles is typical of polycystic ovarian disease.

Ultrasound is useful in diagnosis polycystic ovaries. It is not severe disease, so far I have see around five hundred patients with polycystic ovaries. They are managed well with medications and rarely needed surgery. So do not worry.

Small perpheral follicles in layman term means eggs which are produced by ovary are arranged at the margin of ovary. For further information on this topic you can read patient information leaflet from uk which is available on internet.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing a good health to you and your wife

Best wishes